Best US Sports Betting Sites 2022
Choosing the best sports betting sites in the US can be a tough decision. The market is flooded with multiple platforms offering outstanding features and a ton of promises, and when so many of them deliver on these promises, how are you supposed to find which betting site is the right fit for you.
Well stress not, that’s where we come in!
We've made your search easier by researching the market and listing only the creme de la creme in the US. Now, at least you only have to choose from a few of the truly best sports betting providers.
We've also provided all the right information you will need to understand the market and place a bet.
Best US Sports Betting Sites 2022
|5.0||100% Up To $250 Using Code: 250MATCH||Visit BetRivers NY||Must be 21+. Playable in NY. Gambling Problem? Call 1-877-8-HOPENY or text HOPENY (467369). Standard text rates may apply.|
|5.0||100% Up To $250 Using Code: 250MATCH||Visit BetRivers IL||Not valid for any participant of the Illinois Gaming Board statewide voluntary self-exclusion program • Must be 21 years of age or older • If you or someone yo know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) • Playable only in IL|
|5.0||100% Up To $250 Using Code: 250MATCH||Visit SugarHouse NJ||You are welcome to register from any state in the U.S., but must be 21+ years old and physically located in NJ to wager. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem and wants help, call 1-800-Gambler.|
|5.0||100% Up To $250 Using Code: 250MATCH||Visit BetRivers IA||You are welcome to register from any state in the U.S., but must be 21+ years old and physically located in NJ to wager. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem and wants help, call 1-800-Gambler.|
How We Rank the Best Sportsbooks
We rank the top sports betting sites in the USA based on a set of factors that ensure you have the best betting experience. We only consider sports betting sites that meet these criteria to the fullest:
US state-licensingThis is one of the most important features to check out. We only recommend betting sites that have the appropriate state license from regulatory bodies. The license confirms that this betting site has gone through the necessary steps to ensure that they are a safe and legal operator that can be trusted by the consumer.
The best online sports betting sites in the USA have been in business for several years with some operating for more than a decade. While we would never overlook new sportsbooks and are constantly updating our articles and pages when great bookmakers come along, longevity in this tough industry is definitely a strong sign. Those bookies who have been in the business for a while are also those that adapt to the needs of the customers, offer the most competitive services and are fun and easy to use. These operators have a track record and a solid past performance that makes them a better option for any player.
Safety & security
The leading sports betting sites make use of the best features to safeguard their players online and protect their data from getting leaked. Security features like SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption are good indications that the sportsbook is safe and secure for online betting.
Great customer support is a crucial aspect of any online sportsbook. Players need to know that when they want to get in touch with someone, there is a means to do so. At LotteryCritic, we expect 24/7 customer support with professionals at the other end to provide immediate assistance. Customers should be able to reach out through several communication channels including live chat, phone, and email. An extensive FAQ section is also very necessary. Finally, we expect betting sites to have a quick response time so players can get back to betting on their favorite games.
Bonuses & promos
Bonuses and promotions are a huge attraction at any online sportsbook. These are some of the most effective marketing strategies for bookies to get new players and keep returning players loyal. At LotteryCritic, we consider how juicy these bonuses are and also look out for the terms and conditions. Betting sites with unfriendly terms and conditions don't appear on our list.
When betting on sports, you never want to be short on betting options. Betting sites with multiple betting markets and types are the go-to options for all players. Live betting is also inclusive. Some players prefer to watch their bets unfold which makes live betting a must-have at any leading sportsbook.
Sports coverage is an essential piece of any online sportsbook. The variety of options when it comes to sports events and leagues is very important. In addition, most US players look forward to sportsbooks that pay attention to US leagues. The MLS in soccer, the NBA in basketball, the NFL in football, the MLB in baseball, and the NHL in hockey are the main attractions for most US players.
Payment methods available
Banking is a fundamental aspect of betting online. You will have to make a deposit to start wagering on sports. Also, you will need to cash out your wins to your bank account. We only consider sportsbooks with a wide selection of payment methods including traditional cards, e-wallets, and online banking options.
Ease of use
Betting should be fun even when you're making money off it. You don't want to dilly dally while placing your wagers due to a cluttered site with poor navigation. This is why we look towards sites with a user-friendly platform. Sites that employ modern technology and offer a smooth interface with easy user navigation top our list.
Is Betting Legal in the US?
Unlike US state lotteries, sports betting online has not always been legal in the US, even though it is one of the biggest betting markets in the world. For years, US bettors were restricted as sports betting was banned all over the nation except in Nevada.
In 2018, the Supreme Court struck down the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) and after Murphy’s decision, the sports betting market started off to a great start. Each state was free to legalize sports betting within its borders.
Today, over 30 states in the US have legalized sports betting with more than 18 of them already offering online sports betting. Some of the bigger states and first movers include Arizona, New Jersey, West Virginia, New York, and Pennsylvania.
Sports betting holds great potential in the US which is why more states are considering opening their business up to support sportsbooks. In the first year after the Supreme Court ruling, legal US sportsbooks and casinos realized more than $9 billion, with 80% being from online betting.
It is without a doubt that more states will grant Americans access to legal online sports betting in the coming years. Nebraska and Maryland are among a few states that are very close to legalizing sports betting, with Texas not likely to legalize (if ever) until late 2023.
Legal v Offshore Betting
Legal sportsbooks remain the best option for any player serious about sports betting. For US players in states where betting is not legal, unfortunately, the only thing we would recommend is lobbying your local government to make it legal in your region as using offshore sites carries inherent risk.
Offshore sites are not bound by the rules of regulatory bodies like the Michigan Gaming Control Board which ensures that these sites are safe and secure. This means US players on these sites might have their banking and personal information compromised. They could also not receive their winnings and lose their wagers altogether. The lack of regulation makes betting on offshore sites very risky.
Top Sports Betting Sites Reviewed
Below, we have reviewed and listed the best US sports betting sites for players to get started.
FanDuel is easily one of the most popular online sportsbooks among US players. With a market presence in over 10 states including AZ, CO, CT, IA, IL, IN, LA, MI, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV, & WY, the bookie remains a major attraction.
Although FanDuel made its name as a market leader when it comes to Fantasy Sports (and it still does), Its wide array of betting options on top US leagues like the NFL, NBA, and NFL are why it’s made it onto this list as one of our top picks. There are over 20 sports to bet on with numerous betting markets to support them. Live betting is also available and thanks to the interactive user platform, the ever-changing odds aren’t difficult to keep up with.
As for mobile bettors, FanDuel provides a superb mobile gaming experience. The FanDuel mobile app is available for both Android and iPhone users. It is easy to use and gives you access to all the sportsbook’s features on a smaller screen.
- Top betting site for Fantasy sports
- Competitive odds across the board
- Reputable betting operator
- Wide variety of live betting options
- Limited cash out options
- No Decimal/Fractional odds available
DraftKings is one of the major contenders in the US betting market. It has a wide reach with a presence in over 10 US states. DraftKings offers betting markets on a wide range of sports events including Basketball, Football, Soccer, Baseball, and Hockey. Its betting options go from regulars like moneyline, spread, and total markets to deep betting options specific to a single game.
One of its most outstanding features is the picks and tips it offers to players to help them make better betting decisions. DraftKings is also famous for its bonuses. Players can expect tons of free bets, deposit bonuses, and an invite-only VIP program.
- Wide variety of contests
- Reputable betting site
- Impressive bonuses and promotions
- Early cashout feature
- Complex rewards program
- Small variety of banking options
Caesars is an old name in the world of sports betting which is why it is one of the most trustworthy bookies out there. Being in the market for decades, Caesars knows just what players want. The site doesn't only offer competitive odds on a wide variety of betting markets, but also has one of the largest and most generous bonus offers you will come across.
There is also a live betting section with betting options on sports like basketball, football, soccer, and hockey.
- Generous welcome bonus
- Mobile betting apps
- Large offering of odds boosts
- Available in multiple states
- Live betting is mediocre in comparison to other sites reviewed
- Odds boosts have low maximum bet limits
Like the top dogs, BetMGM has spread its tentacles to just about every US state where online sports betting is legalized. BetMGM is one of the oldest players in the business with a land-based casino that has stood the test of time.
Its online platform is even better. Players get an excellent selection of betting options on top sports including boosted odds and cash-out options that make for a better betting experience. There is also live betting for players that prefer some real-time action.
The bonus section might be one of the most attractive features of this sportsbook. New players can expect massive welcome bonuses to get started. From there, existing players can claim free bets and a five-tier loyalty program.
- Wide range of bets
- Boosted parlays feature is a plus
- Interactive mobile app
- Impressive range of promotions and bonus offers
- The layout of the website could be improved
- Live chat feature not available
PointsBet is a leading name in the US gaming market. It boasts of an expanding customer base and a solid reputation which makes it one of the most attractive bookies out there. There are a wide variety of traditional sports to bet on at this bookie including top picks like the NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB.
These sports are available for in-play and pre-game betting with live tracking and streaming services to keep you entertained. For players that want to take their gaming with them, there is the PointsBet mobile app.
- Live streaming video available
- 24/7 customer support
- Live same-game parlay betting
- Licensed in nearly a dozen states
- Sportsbook design could be improved
- Losses tend to be huge
BetRivers is another leading name in the world of online sports betting. In the US market, it offers a wide range of betting markets on leading sports as well as less popular sports.
BetRivers matches the competition in terms of betting markets and sports events, but its most outstanding feature remains its analytics. Players will find in-depth statistics on North American leagues like the NHL. You will find stats on recent results and recent forms of players, as well as many other analytics.
In addition, BetRivers offers mega bonuses. Its welcome bonus offer is just a glimpse into what awaits players when they register. Bonuses like parlay boost on certain leagues, contests, profit boosts, and a BetRivers iRush VIP rewards.
- Impressive welcome bonus
- Multiple in-play betting options
- Wide selection of sports events
- Large offers of betting markets
- Few bonuses for existing players
- Limits winning bettors
Top Sports To Bet on in the US
US sports betting sites cover a wide selection of sports including the most popular picks as well as the less popular sports. When it comes to the top sports to bet on, it is all about local coverage.
Check out the top-ranking sports for sports betting in the US.
- NFL: The NFL is the biggest football league in the world with millions of fans following up on its games. Incredibly, before the beginning of 2021’s NFL season, over 45 million NFL fans said they planned to bet on the sport. Perhaps this is because the NFL offers more betting options due to its complex gameplay. In most cases, player props usually come in a wide variety. In some cases, NFL games could have as many as 70 betting markets to choose from.
- NBA: The NBA is the world’s leading basketball and draws one of the largest crowds in the US, averaging 1.44 million viewers through 12 games so far this season – up 20% from last season. Bettors are also fascinated by this sport, so it doesn’t come as a surprise that the NBA offers vast betting options.
- MLB: This traditional sport still lives in the heart of many Americans where it serves as one of the most popular sports options. In fact, stats are showing that MLB is cementing itself even more in American culture, with viewership on the rise. Game 6 of the 2021 MLB World series for example, averaged 14.3 million total viewers, up from 12.6 million viewers for Game 6 of the 2020 World Series. Because of it’s popularity, players can expect to get lots of betting action including special betting markets on this sport.
- NHL: The NHL is the leading hockey league in the world. Much like other sports these past few years, the NHL has seen massive growth in their viewership, and its largest opening night cable audience ever, with Oct. 12’s Pittsburgh Penguins-Tampa Bay Lightning game averaging 983,000 viewers goes to show just how fast it’s growing. When it comes to betting, the NHL is similar to the MLB in many ways. It comes with special betting markets on moneyline, spread, and totals, however, the most popular NHL bets are targeted at props.
- NCAAF: The NCAA Football Division is the highest level of College Football in the US. It is just another league to keep bettors busy and improve their chances when the NFL is out of season or short on games. The betting markets on this sport are not different from that of the NFL and have seen enormous and rapid growth since federal laws banning betting on college sports were lifted.
- NCAAB: The NCAA Basketball division gives you betting action in basketball at the college level. Spreads, moneyline, totals, and futures are the most popular picks in this league but you might want to consider expanding your choices to the numerous other betting markets it offers.
Best Sports Betting Apps
Wagering on your favorite sports might get tiring if you have to sit behind a computer screen all day. Fortunately, the best online betting sites have adapted their platforms to mobile devices for players to game on the go.
A mobile sports betting app is the best way to bet on mobile. Not only will you be able to bet on the go, but you will also be able to separate your sports betting from other online activities. The mobile app allows you to place wagers at the touch of a button even when betting live.
You get access to every available sport betting market including moneyline, props, and spreads offered by operators.
Each sports betting app is available for download on iOS and Android devices and adapts perfectly to any screen size.
Best Sports Betting Offers & Promo Codes
The best online betting sites in the US offer tons of bonuses to new and existing players to expand and maintain their customer base. Below are the most common betting bonuses you will find at online sportsbooks in the US.
Risk free bet
Risk-free bets take away any chance of you losing your ‘real’ money, only risking your promo bonus if you lose the wager. This promo bonus is almost always not withdrawable, so you must bet it. This is essentially a 100% risk-free bet. Keep in mind with these sorts of bonuses, there are often turnover and betting requirements before you can withdraw ‘real’ money. Some sportsbooks do not require a deposit to offer a risk-free bet while others will require you to make a deposit. Caesars are currently offering an incredible $1,500 risk-free bet, with only a 1x turnover requirement and no minimum odds limit. There aren’t too many sportsbooks matching this at the moment.
A free bet is just as the name implies. You will be offered free money to bet with when you sign up to a sportsbook. The rules of this offer vary from bookie to bookie. Some will require a deposit and double the deposit amount as your free bet. For example, FanDuel offer $1,000 matched with an initial deposit. If you place your first bet and go on to lose, then FanDuel will refund you in site credits that you can use to place more bets. Free bets just imply that you don’t have to use your own money as a stake. In the case of a winning bet however, you will only receive the profits on your free bet, and not the original stake that your chosen site has offered you.
The deposit bonus is a standard bonus offer in the industry. Just as the name implies, a deposit bonus is a bonus offer that requires a deposit to claim. This offer is mostly limited to new players at a sportsbook. Players will have their deposits matched to a certain amount. BetMGM currently offer $1000 matched deposit bonus.
No deposit bonus
The no deposit bonus is a direct opposite of the deposit bonus. To claim this package, players simply need to sign up to the sportsbook and they will be awarded the bonus offer. Since the no deposit bonus doesn’t require any commitment from the player, it is often rare to see one.
Bet credits are promotional offers or additional funds added to your account by the operator when you place bets continuously over a period of time. If you’re able to accumulate enough bet credits, you can use them to place bets for real money without using your real cash funds.
Odds boost occur when a sportsbook moves the odds in favor of the bettors. Certain odds for a game will be increased on certain wagering opportunities thereby increasing your win potential Pointsbet are famous for offering great odds boosts.
Parlay insurance is a marketing tactic by sportsbooks to encourage players to make parlay bets. The parlay insurance usually covers one leg of the parlay. If you lose the parlay by just one leg, you will get a refund on your wager.
New Betting Sites
The US betting market continues to expand, giving opportunities to players to enjoy their favorite sports. As more players turn to online sports betting, there is an influx of new betting sites.
These new betting sites join the market to compete with the big brands for a share of the customer base. To stand out, they throw in attractive offers that players won't be able to resist. These offers start from huge bonuses to features like odds boost, cashout, and bet builders.
Popular Sports Betting Markets in the US
The best sports betting sites in the US provide more than enough betting markets to meet the demands of US players. Check out the most popular types of betting in the US.
- Odds betting: Odds are numbers determined by oddsmakers which provide the likelihood of a particular outcome in a betting market. The odds also determine the potential payout of any game.
- Spread: The spread is one of the most popular betting markets in the US. This is because it is a top choice for lovers of football and basketball. The spread is a number set by oddsmakers, giving players the choice to pick which team will cover the spread. Example: Often, spread bets will be -110, so your bookie will take 10%. That means if you want to win $20 on your bet, you have to stake $22. Let’s say you take OKC -11.5 points against the Lakers. They will have to win by 12 points or more for you to win your $20.
- Parlay: Parlay or combo bets is simply adding multiple bets on a single betting slip. This is the direct opposite of single bets. With parlay, your win potential increases exponentially. However, the risk also increases. An eight-legged parlay or a bet slip with 8 different bets will only be counted as a win if all 8 bet predictions are correct. Winning 7 but losing a single bet will see you lose the entire bet. Example: Let’s say you want to bet on 3 MLB games coming up this weekend. In a Parlay bet – all 3 odds will be multiplied together. To win the bet, all 3 picks must come off. Let’s say the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs are all paying $2 to win their games. If you wager $10, you will win $70 + your original stake. (2x2x2=8) x 10.
- Totals (over/ under): A totals bet requires you to bet OVER or UNDER on the total score/goals/points for both teams as set by the oddsmarkets. Using the game between the New York Giants and the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl, the totals could be set to 60. If you think the final score will be over 60, you would bet on OVER. If you believe the total score will be less than 60, you bet on UNDER. If the final score is 60, this results in a push, and your bet will be refunded. Example: You think this upcoming NBA game is going to be low scoring, and you take the bookie on at their overs/unders market – which is, for the sake of this example – 150 points @$1.95. That means the combined score of both teams has to be under 150 points at the end of the game for you to win your bet. Keep in mind you can often change to unders/overs to increase/decrease your odds, and can take unders/overs often on individual teams and even players.
- Futures: A future bet allows you to stake on the result of events in the long term. For example, you can bet on the winner of the NBA championship or which NFL player will record the most sacks at the end of the season. These bets are not settled until the season wraps up. Example: You think this is the year for the Detroit Lions. They are paying big odds, but you believe in your team. Placing a futures bet will mean that you have to wait til the end of the season to see if you're right.
- Live betting: Live betting or in-play betting is fast becoming a must for online sportsbooks. Betting while games are in-play gives some players the chance to quickly decide how their bets will go. The quick-changing odds and fast-paced action also bring thrills for some players. Most sportsbooks offer live bets on a wide range of sports including top American leagues. For the keen sportsbetter.
- Moneyline: A moneyline bet is the simplest bet in sports betting. It only requires that you pick a winner. Some moneyline bets allow you to choose a draw.
- Props: A prop bet is a wager made on specific occurrences in the game that do not have an effect on the outcome of the game. For example, players could bet on the result of a coin toss in the game, which players will record the most assists in a game or the number of points a player will have. Prop bets could be based on the entire game (game props), or the team (team props), or player performance (player props).
Online Payment Options in the US
All top US sportsbooks support several banking methods to ease the process of deposits and withdrawals. Below are some of the most popular methods used by these operators.
- PayPal: PayPal is one of leading e-wallets in the US. PayPal is widely accepted due to its simplicity and ease of transaction. With this method, deposits are processed swiftly while withdrawals are noticeably faster. To use PayPal, bettors will have to open a PayPal account.
- Debit/credit Cards: Debit/credit cards like Visa and MasterCard are considered traditional payment methods that are always part of every sportsbook. They are one of the most secure payment options. They are usually free of the extra fees that come with using e-wallets which make them a better choice.
- Skrill: Just like PayPal, Skrill is a popular e-wallet option that offers easy payment at online sportsbooks. It comes with all the perks of using PayPal like fast withdrawals and deposits as well as impressive limits on payments.
- ACH/VIP Preferred e-Check: Players with a checking account can try out ACH or Instant eCheck. The pros of using this payment option are the quick deposit times and ease of use. However, withdrawals can drag on for a while. In addition, you will need to have an online bank account with an institution accepted by the sportsbook of your choice, which is limiting.
- Play+ prepaid cards: Play+ prepaid cards are offered by almost every online sportsbook in the US. Players with this card can deposit into their account without having to see betting records on their main debit/credit cards. They can also use this for withdrawals.
Gambling is supposed to be fun and entertaining. However, when you find yourself chasing losses or betting heavily, it could be time to take a break. Practicing responsible gambling helps you to focus on the fun side and avoid losing financially and mentally. In the US, there are several associations and programs to ensure that patrons only enjoy gambling as a form of entertainment. The NCP Gambling and the American Gaming organizations aim to assist people with gambling addiction.
Is betting legal in the US?
Yes, Betting was legalized in the US after the repeal of the PASPA in 2018. This gave every US state the authority to legalize sports betting.
Where is sports betting legal in the US?
Sports betting is legal in over 30 US states with more states looking to launch an betting market. In the coming years, possibly every US state will see the potential of online betting.
What are the most popular sports to bet on?
Basketball, Football, Baseball, and Hockey remain the most popular sports in the US. The NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB represent the biggest leagues within these sports.
Do I have to pay taxes on my winnings?
Yes. However, whether you pay or not depends on the operator and the amount you win. Most sportsbooks will withdraw taxes from your winnings of over $5,000 or more.
What’s the difference between a licensed and offshore betting site?
A licensed betting site is a site regulated by the state regulatory body making it legal and safe. An offshore site, on the other hand, is not registered within the state and thus, not regulated.
How old do you have to be to bet in the US?
When it comes to sports betting, all but four states in the US require that you must be 21 years or over to bet. Four states; Rhode Island, Washington, New Hampshire, and Montana set the age limit to 18 or over.